This project started with an abandoned display box that Fernando restored and fixed. None of us collects anything that needs display, so the box was unused and looking a bit sad in Fernando’s workshop. But this week I came with an idea for it – since the box had the shape of a house, I would make a non-permanent amulet for the protection of our home.
Although I think the project is beautiful indeed, and I believe beauty to be a tremendous magical power by itself, this is not decoration to make nice Pinterest posts – this is a real magical work, and so, it works, because of the power of each item by itself, and by the power of the chosen combination.
These are all items from my personal collection of amulets and magical items, so be mindful of what you put in your project. When not in use, all these items are kept in my altar area at all times, regularly recharged and fed appropriately, and away from any disturbing energies, so each one of them is at their optimum power whenever they are needed. If you just pick stuff randomly because it looks neat or “witchy”, you’ll have a neat decoration, but nothing more. Not that there is anything wrong with a nice decoration, but as I said, this is a magical work.
Below, you will find a detailed list of what I used and why, but is not a recipe; it’s something you should adapt to your own life, and your own path. So, take this list only a suggestion, and work from there towards your own version.
AND REMEMBER – NO CANDLES. No matter how small the candle is, it can cause the wood to heat until it starts burning. This is an amulet, not an altar, so there’s no need for them anyway.
Left side, from top to bottom:
· Antique keys and a greek evil eye glass amulet, hanging from the house chimney – so the home is protected and “closed” against negativity.
· A holy card of Mary Help Of Christians, patroness of our neighbourhood, so we are always in the presence, and under the protection, of our loving mother.
· A goat horn, an owl feather and a root – for our land and its Spirits, so we stay connected to our heritage and identity.
· A stick of cinnamon for luck and good business, and a stick of Palo Santo for cleansing and protection.
· A bundle of Rosemary from the garden, that will be changed when dry, for protection and banishing of negative entities.
Right Side, from top to bottom:
· A knife and a dog’s jaw bone, to guard the house against burglars, damage from weather, etc.
· Gemstones – choose from your favourites, and for your own needs. I chose Agate and Rutilated Quartz for mental clarity, Citrine for good business, Garnet and Malachite for good health, and Hematite for growth and stability.
· Shells – for the protection of love and family.
· A stack of coins for prosperity – since my customers come from all over the world, the coins are of many different types and countries.
· A glass filled with salt, to absorb negativity. This will be changed for a new one regularly.
· A glass filled with Holy Water, for protection – again, this will be changed regularly.
· A Holy Card of Saint Barbara – I personally relate her to protection magic, so this was a totally personal choice.